Presenting the winner of the Best Small Bar to The Bodega
Nottingham’s top bars, pubs and clubs attended a decadent and glamorous Venetian masquerade themed evening at the Albert Hall last night (14 October) for Nottingham’s Best Bar None awards, a national scheme supported by the Home Office, aimed at promoting the responsible management and operation of licensed premises.
The winners in various categories were chosen by a panel of judges, based on merit from scores received during an assessment, and also voted for by the public. Over 7,550 votes were cast this year, a significant increase on previous years.
The overall winner for Best Bar None 2014 was named as Squares situated on The Poultry, one of the largest pubs in the city centre. Squares were also chosen by the judges as the Best Large pub.
“We're absolutely delighted to have won the overall award and to have been chosen by the judges as the best large pub too,” said Karen Williams, manager of Squares. “It is great recognition for us as a business as it acknowledges all the systems and processes that we have in place and all the efforts we make to ensure that we operate responsibly and to the highest standards.”
Jeff Allen, chairman of Nottingham BID, the organisers of the Best Bar None Award scheme said; “In Nottingham city centre we are spoilt for choice when it comes to bars, pubs and clubs. We have a wide range of top quality venues that all contribute to helping our night-time economy thrive. The Best Bar None award scheme is important because the venues that are accredited and win the awards have demonstrated that they have strong practices and systems in place to ensure that they achieve the very highest standards of operation. This is important for creating a vibrant and safe environment in the city centre for people to enjoy in the evening".
Jeff continues; “Winning these awards highlights that Squares firmly places the well-being and overall experience of its customers at the heart of its business and the managers and staff should be very proud of such a fantastic achievement. They are to be congratulated as are all the other winners in the awards and all the venues that have gained accreditation.”
Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping, who provided funding towards the awards, said; “The thriving night time economy attracts a great deal of visitors to the City and I want people to have a great night out in safe surroundings. Best Bar None accreditations give customers confidence in the licensees’ commitment to providing enjoyable, yet responsible licensed premises, which is rewarded by increased trade.”
Nottingham’s 2014 Best Bar None Award Winners:
Best Small Bar - Judges Choice
Best Large Bar - Judges Choice
Best Small Pub - Judges Choice
Best Large Pub - Judges Choice
Best Club - Judges Choice
Best Small Bar - Public Choice
Bad Juju & The Rum House
Best Large Bar - Public Choice
Pitcher and Piano
Best Small Pub - Public Choice
Spanky Van Dykes
Best Large Pub - Public Choice
The Orange Tree
Best Club - Public Choice
Overall Best Bar None Winner 2014
The ceremony was hosted by Dusty Limits, cabaret singer and comedian. Guests were treated to entertainment from One Love and live music from Nottingham sensation’s Jordan Bethany and Monique Henry as well as music from the tribute act and swing singers, The Rat Pack Boys. The welcome drinks were sponsored by local brewery Shipstone’s.
Notes to editors:
- The Nottingham BID was formed in January 2013 following the merger of the Retail and Leisure BIDs.
- The BID is not-for-profit and is privately funded by retailers and licensed premises that fall within the defined BID Zone area and the amount paid is a percentage of their rateable value - currently 1.37% or 0.82% for charities and businesses in maintained centres.
- With over 770 businesses including over 200 independents, the Nottingham BID is one of the largest BIDs in the country.
- There is an optional scheme called Friends of the BID for businesses under the rateable value threshold or outside the BID Zone area.
- There is also an affiliate scheme for businesses outside the BID Zone area whose rateable value is over the threshold and who choose to be part of the BID.
- It’s in Nottingham is the public facing brand for the Nottingham BID and has a website, app and social media accounts dedicated to publicizing the BID businesses and activities year round.
For further information please contact;
Judi Coppel, Gemini PR & Marketing - 0115 852 3850 | 07811 323373
Posted on Wednesday 15th October 2014