Text Only
Accessibility Options
Default Text Size icon Large Text Size icon Largest Text Size icon
Set your Postcode This will personalise content such as news & events with the latest from your area.
Skip Content Skip Content

New funding to curb youth violence will confront problem at source, says PCC

Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping today welcomed a further grant from the Home Office of nearly £700K to disrupt youth violence and give young people a brighter future.

Nottinghamshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner has been earmarked £690,877 from the Home Office’s Early Intervention Youth Fund to tackle the root causes of serious violence among children and young people as part of wider efforts to challenge knife crime.

The grant will expand the work of hospital-based charity Redthread which deploys youth workers in the A & E department of the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham to intervene in situations where young people aged 11 to 25 have become the victim of serious youth violence including stabbings, gun crime, sexual assault and domestic violence.

These specialist teams meet the young patients as soon as possible – in the A & E waiting room, on the ward, or even in the resuscitation bay - and Redthread believes it is in these crucial moments following an intense crisis when the young victim is nursing a serious injury in hospital that there is the highest chance of catalytic change, self-reflection or a “teachable moment”. 

The funding will also see the deployment of street-based “violence interrupters” who will step in during potential conflicts among young people to reduce tensions and mediate. The use of on-line social media violence interrupters will also be examined and piloted.

Commenting on the announcement, Mr Tipping said: “This funding is urgently needed to help us reach young people who are most vulnerable to violence as both perpetrators and victims.

“What is very clear is that young people need support to break away from the chains of violence and offending. Many are held captive by their own circumstances and fear the repercussions of starting a new life and this has to be addressed.

“Through this investment, we will continue to build a rapport with those most at risk, offering advice and mentorship to guide young people to a safer future.”

Chief Inspector Donna Lawton, knife crime lead for Nottinghamshire Police, said: "Schemes that prevent young people from becoming involved in, or to break free from a cycle of violence are extremely worthwhile because the cost of violence to people's lives is incalculable.

"This funding will allow Redthread to continue the work they have been doing at the Queen's Medical Centre to work with young victims to help avoid future conflict. There are a number of initiatives that are being trialled and we will continue to work with and support these."

The Home Office previously allocated £17.7m of the Early Intervention Youth Fund to 29 projects endorsed by PCCs in November last year.

In addition, further funding was provided to PCCs for additional specific projects as well as £544,900 to the Evening Standard Save London Lives campaign.

This final round of funding will see a further £3.3m allocated to projects across 10 areas of England and Wales and is in addition to the funding announced last week for Violence Reduction Units, when Nottinghamshire was awarded £880,000 from the Serious Violence Fund.

Ends

 

Media Enquiries:   Sallie Blair - 01283 821012 / 07702 541401

 

 

Posted on Wednesday 26th June 2019
Share this
 
 
Powered by Contensis